Thursday 21 April 2011

Booooooom!...and other ideas...


A friend introduced me to http://www.booooooom.com and I've spent some time (perhaps too much!) browsing the art section, looking at the contemporary works. (it's a really helpful source of inspiration!)
The blog was created by artist Jeff Hamada from Vancouver as a place where creative people could look at exciting works and talk about them.
It's good because it doesn't show just one piece of work but a collection of the artist's pieces, and sometimes how those pieces work in the space.

I looked through the blog thinking about my idea and vision for the virtual exhibition and these are some artists I came across that related to it, and that I really liked!

Sonja Vordermaier

These sculptures don't just come out of the walls, they seem to violently protrude from the white space, they are not subtle change the space entirely. It's also interesting that it was displayed next to a window...I'm thinking on purpose perhaps? As the reflections are also interesting...

I like how this piece is not displayed in the usual 'white cube' setting which I thought would be necessary for my exhibition. Her sculptures are like mould, growing out of the space, and it's made me think about how I could display this work.

Because the piece above is gold and shiny it adds a different dimension to the space, the light reflects off it and allows the form to change the space both with its size and shape, but also it's surface quality.
I find Vordermaier's work fascinating! It's great to see how it works within a space and even how people interact with it.

Rebecca Ward


Ward's work has a much less organic feel to it than Vordermaier's, it is very structured, quite graphic in it's nature. I like it because of this fact, I like how it is not just organic forms that grow out of the walls, changing the space, more controlled forms can also be effective.

Beili Liu


I was drawn to Lui's work because of the similarities to Pae White's in that they are small discs hanging, however as they are made of one colour threads it gives them a different quality than to White's and I quite like the use of one colour, especially if it is in contrast to works that use many colours (or none at all!) I don't know whether it would not be successful to show Lui's and White's work together because of their similarities and how viewer's may be confused (or would that be interesting?)

Xavier Barrade


These rather space-like sculptures interested me as they seemed to hang in the space, yet look almost like a paint brushmark or something on a wall. For me they do look like something that was 2D transformed into 3D but I'm unsure what Barrade thinks. I don't think I'll use them in my exhibition, I can't see them working well with the other artists work.

Angelika Arendt

Again like Vordermaier, the first image is almost like mould growing from the space, and as I wrote before, I really like this for my exhibition. They are also quite vivid and colourful, and I'd really like to see an up-close image, although the smaller sculptures I saw looked as if they had been quite painstakingly made and took time; I like that.
Example:
Sculptures by artist Angelika Arendt


I've also been thinking of using Tomas Saraceno and Tana Donovan in my exhibition alongside Zimmermann, White, Eliasson (and perhaps Lambie), but after looking at these artists I think it would be exciting to use their work in the exhibition.

I've also been spending many hours just thinking of possible titles...no luck yet. I think the title is one of the most difficult decisions! I've drafted a possible press release (not ready for publishing yet...definitely needs a few tweaks!)

I've been trying to think of existing large white spaces I could use as a basis for my exhibition but I can't think of any that are suited to my proposed end result. I need a large white space, but with different sized rooms as I think many of the pieces work differently in different sized spaces, and as I'm choosing works that do change the space I'd be a bit stupid not to choose appropriate spaces for the works.









No comments:

Post a Comment